Highlights of the Week:
- Job search seems to be looking up. Three interviews this week.
- This past weekend felt really long, which is a good thing. And I have a four-day weekend since I don’t have work Monday or Tuesday.
- The weather is warmer so Amanda and I have been taking walks with Giselle. It’s nice to get outside, instead of watching TV or something like that.
Books I’m Reading:
Still doing my book face-off between:
(c) The Circle of Seasons: Meeting God in the Church Year by Kimberlee Conway Ireton. It has been extremely helpful in understanding the importance of working our lives around the church calendar. First, working around the church calendar is countercultural. Whereas our culture’s calendar is shaped around “spending” (Christmas is the most obvious example), the church’s calendar is shaped around the story of Christ and his Church. Second, in line with the season of Lent, the reason we fast from things is to “create space” for God to move in. Where we would fill ourselves with food, we fast and ask God to fill the emptiness.
Disappointed by: (a) Panera Bread. I ate lunch there after church on Sunday, and, later that night, my lunch returned. I was pretty sick, and I think it was their fault. Fortunately, I’m a Christian, and I will forgive them and may even eat there again. (b) Leatherheads featuring George Clooney, Renée Zellweger, John Krasinski, and David de Vries. I had been looking forward to seeing this movie. So, Amanda and I rented it from Netflix — The movie was incredibly slow. The plot was poorly developed (if you could say it developed at all), and the characters were completely without nuance — I don’t recommend it at all but don’t take my word for it. Feel free to check it out yourself.
Put It on Repeat (what I’ve been listening to): Bought a new cassette-insert that actually works. The most notable thing I listened to was Relevant Magazine’s podcast from last week in February, which had me cracking up while I was driving in my car – especially about the impending Chimpocalypse
Job update: three interviews this week! A variety of positions – Starbucks (Monday), another youth pastor position (Tuesday), and non-profit position (Friday).
Seminary update: We didn’t have class last week, but we will be resuming tomorrow (Tuesday).
Looking forward to:
- Continuing Lent
- My other three job interviews this week
- Getting a job that fits my needs, as well as my family’s needs
- Giselle is to be dedicated on April 5th, and her first birthday is coming up on April 21st. We are just trying to figure out the celebration details right now.
- Going to Toronto with Tim in March, speaking at a youth retreat in April, and going on a seminary retreat in May.
- March Madness, which is the only time of the year I watch college basketball – let’s go UNC!