I’m not sure why I’ve been taking until Tuesday (or Wednesday) to do what I mean to do on Monday, but here you go –
Highlights of the Week:
1. Giselle has “dada” and “mama” down to know that it’s Dad and Mom, but it isn’t on demand. What I mean is, I can’t say, “Who that?” to Amanda, and Elle will respond, “Mama.” We just aren’t there yet.
2. I was able to sub at Calvary twice within the past week, and I really like it. I actually remembered Algebra well enough to help a few students. Mainly subbing is just sitting there, but I had a chance to make a difference there (haha!).
3. Sunday at The Well was awesome! I’m pretty sure that we’re all damned because for my whole time at The Well on Sunday we had – people wearing jeans, non-KJV translation used, screens, guitars, a woman preacher, a clip from Ellen (a show hosted by a lesbian?), talk about the role of “tradition” (are we Catholic?), and the word a** was used (in reference to “donkey,” but we all know that even in that context you’re destined for hell). Yes, we’re all damned. (Please understand that I’m totally joking, but I’m poking fun at people who would really think this).
4. Amanda and I had a wonderful two days to celebrate her birthday. Thursday – we had a family dinner with her family and mine. Friday – the two of us went to PF Chang’s and to the movie New in Town. If you have a young child, you know how rare this can be to have hours to yourselves. Happy Birthday, Mand!
Books I’m Reading:
1. Finished Coffehouse Theology: Reflecting on God in Everyday Life by Ed Cyzewski. You can check out what I think here, here, and here.
2. Finished another book from NavPress called The One True Thing by Howard Baker. The book got progressively better from beginning to end. Overall, I enjoyed it. I will review it later.
3. Now reading for class, Goldsworthy’s Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture and Christopher Wright’s Knowing Jesus through the Old Testament
Blogs I’ve Been Enjoying:
1. Tim writes about Pete Rollins’ “denial” of the resurrection. I think Tim’s on to something. We should be paying attention to Pete’s point, not wondering if he actually believes the resurrection happened (which for some reason I think he does).
2. Tony Jones has been reviewing the doctrine of original sin. I’m not sure I’m on board, but it’s worthwhile to take a look at it. Here‘s the most recent.
3. Scot McKnight’s calling of pro-life, pro-Obama-ers to call out about Obama’s pro-choice decisions. We aren’t paying loyalties to any leader besides Jesus.
Put It on Repeat (what I’ve been listening to)
1. Sufjan Stevens Illinoise – I always come back to this album to listen to it again
2. The Almost Southern Weather
3. Lykke Li’s one song “I’m Good, I’m Gone” on Youth Novels
4. Panic at the Disco’s one song “Nine in the Afternoon” on Pretty. Odd. – because I enjoy playing it on Rock Band 2
Job update: I didn’t get the job at McCafferty Hyundai because they couldn’t work around my school schedule. So, oh well. I have people looking out for me, and I think God is asking me to have patience. I don’t like it, but I think that’s what he’s asking me to do.
Seminary update: Just began a class with Peter Enns (who I’ve blogged about here, here, here, here, and here) called “Preaching Christ from the Old Testament.” It’s helping many of us work through the apostles’ “butchering” of Old Testament passages.
Had a good laugh at:
“I love Jesus, but I drink a little” from Ellen was the clip we watched at church. It’s pretty funny.
Looking forward to: Happy Valentine’s Day!